Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

interesting conversation...

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend of mine the other day. She couldn't understand why I would wonder if Christianity was real when I could see how much my parents believed in it and how happy, on the whole, they were. It kinda made me reexamine my thoughts and feelings from that time. Looking back I don't think I ever really disbelieved in the existence of Jesus. It simply wasn't real to me (plus I really couldn't stand a lot of the people who called themselves Christian). As I look back on that time of realizing that Christ wasn't real in my life and the subsequent searching for the answer, I think it was a really, really good time for me. There will always be a time in your life when you decide to make your parents faith your own. If that time doesn't happen then chances are that you haven't really thought about it enough. I would encourage everyone to not simply take your parents word on the subject one way or the other. Search, dig, found out the answer for yourself. And realize it is totally fine to disagree with your parents. I have a friend who is a Christian while both his parents aren't. While it is sad that his parents don't share his faith I'm sure glad he disagreed with them. At the same time I have another friend who's single mom is a Christian and he isn't. I'm always glad when kids who are in Christian families have doubts about whether Christianity is true or not. In fact I would encourage those kids to not simply believe what their parents tell them but find out for themselves. And realize it's completely fine to come to the conclusion that Christianity isn't real. It's sad when people reach that conclusion but it is infinitely better then when someone doesn't care enough to even find out if the thing they're putting their faith in is real or not. Unfortunately my friend who is in a Christian home and is rejecting it, is simply floating. Right now he doesn't care one way or the other. He isn't searching for the answer. I would rather someone become a Humanist or New Ager then be a halfhearted Christian simply because his family is.

3 comments:

  1. "In fact I would encourage those kids to not simply believe what their parents tell them but find out for themselves. And realize it's completely fine to come to the conclusion that Christianity isn't real..."

    Sounds logical. But ensure them that Christianity IS real, and that eternity IS a long time, and that IF he's wrong, he has some major issues. No, don't believe it because your parents do; but make sure you make the right decision- the consequences for the wrong decision are insurmountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true. but when it comes down to it either God will reveal himself or he won't. nothing you can say will convince someone of God's existence unless he opens that person's eyes. it HAS to be real to you, not because you're parents or friends assured you that it is real, but because God himself assured you that he is real.

    ReplyDelete